Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

Apple Crisp

Let me start by saying I do not like apples. At all. Why did I choose to make this? Nate has been asking for apple crisp for about a month. I felt like baking, so there you go! I turned to Martha for this recipe and she didn't disappoint.

http://www.marthastewart.com/316288/apple-crisp


There are pleasantly few ingredients in this recipe. I had everything on hand except for the apples (naturally). Which brings us to the apples...

What a huge pain. I now remember why I don't cook anything requiring peeled, sliced, cored apples. Once that torture was over with, the topping was a breeze.




I changed absolutely nothing in this recipe, but if I made it again I would use less flour and more brown sugar in the crisp. I used Braeburn apples, because they were on sale. I am not an apple connoisseur, so I don't know what other apples would work well. 

Bottom line: I had to put the fork down and walk away. To get a spoon so I could shovel it in faster. Remember, I do not like apples. This was freaking good. Sweet, kind of tangy, and the apples retained some crunch. They were not too soft, which I enjoyed. I love oats, so the crisp was a bonus. The crisp would be a good base for a bar or chewy cookie. Nate said I need to keep this as my go to crisp recipe, and I agree. But maybe blackberry next time! 





No comments:

Post a Comment