Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

Cowboy Caviar Chicken Salad



I have had this as a dip before, and it was great. When I saw the recipe using this as a base for a salad, I was all in.

http://www.greensnchocolate.com/2012/05/southwestern-chopped-chicken-salad.html

Of course, I changed up a few things. I viewed some other recipes that added a can of black eyed peas, and that sounded good. I also used Rotel (2 cans) instead of fresh tomatoes. I opted out of lettuce altogether, as I will be eating this for several days and didn't want it to get soggy. I also used bottled lime juice...Northeast Wisconsin isn't exactly a hotbed for fresh fruits at the end of October.  I also opted out of mayo for the dressing (sidebar: I have a legit mayo addiction that I am just now breaking after years of artery abuse). I used the yogurt in its place, and I added lime juice.


Bottom line: this stuff is good. The cilantro and lime go so well together. I could eat just the 'caviar' in a tortilla or as a side. I'd like to make this next summer with fresh roasted corn. Yum. The dressing was a bit grainy, I could certainly taste the absence of mayo. Next time I will add some full fat sour cream or even use full fat Greek yogurt. It wasn't inedible at all, just gritty.


No comments:

Post a Comment