Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

Biscuits and Gravy

This is not a review, folks, this is one of my own. Actually, it is my Grandma's. She gave me my first gravy lesson at age 18 and I haven't looked back! Here's what you need:
-1 pound pork sausage (any flavor you like)
- 7-9 Tablespoons flour
- 2.5-4 cups milk

Start by frying your sausage. You want greasy sausage, so I wouldn't recommend low fat. If you want a low fat meal, don't make this.
Once your meat is cooked through, tilt the pan so that all the grease accumulates on one side. Add the flour bit by bit to the grease. I add enough until a paste is formed. Once you have the paste, add 1 cup of milk. Cook this on medium heat just until thickened. Add the milk about 1 cup at a time and cook until thickened.

I usually add about 3 cups of milk, but I have gone up to 4 if I have a large crowd to feed. If you add any more milk, you lose the yummy sausage to gravy ratio! Overall, let the gravy simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring constantly. If you like a thinner gravy, add more milk. This recipe makes a pretty
thick gravy. Be sure to season well with salt and pepper! I make this quite often, and I have yet for someone to dislike it.

As for the biscuits, the choice is yours. Grands work fine, but I am a fan of homemade! I cannot recommend highly enough these 7 up biscuits. That is what I used tonight, and everyone had seconds, even my 7 year old niece!

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment